I had too much fun in Single Abstract Noun over the last few days and sadly realized that on my main server I’m WAY overextended. This is also combined with the recent extreme neediness of Twig at bedtime and being pulled in 2 directions at once.
You know you’re approaching officer burnout when:
- You have free time and you don’t want to log in. You get chorecraft done instead.
- You just want to freakin farm for herbs uninterrupted.
- No, I don’t want to heal that. And I resent you for asking!
- You are raiding and secretly hope that the raid leader will call the raid early.
- You get extremely annoyed and frustrated that there’s a new person in the raid who will need explanations of all the fights… again.
- You feel unusually snarky that people aren’t reading a guide first and instead expect someone in gchat (usually an officer) to choose their spec/gear/glyphs for them.
- Someone is misbehaving and it seems easier to just wish really hard that he’ll lose internet in perpetuity rather than deal with the problem.
- Transferring all toons to a random server seems like a brilliant idea.
- You want to level an icky cheater pally rather than play a maxed-out tree. OH NOES!
I’ve always said that officers need to be slightly more hard-core than the general members. That’s just the way it works out.
- If members are expected to be online for 2 raids a week, officers need to be online even more to deal with officery crap that comes up.
- If you expect members to be fully geared and enchanted and know their classes inside and out, you have to walk the walk and do even more research than the average member.
I’m not hard-core. I have been combing blogs for stuff to help people get better at their class. I’ve coached the baby healers through TOC-10 to get them ready for raiding. And I’m tired.
And being tired and stressed (due to Twig having sleep issues) makes me do stupid things in raiding and stupid things in officering. That helps nobody.
1. A week break from raiding to get Twig settled down.
2. No more raid leading. At all.
3. A complete focus on recruitment, which is my officer job. If it is an officer issue that doesn’t involve recruitment, I don’t want to hear about it.
No quitting the game. No quitting the server. No quitting blogging. Nothing drastic like that. Just scaling back the responsibilities.
And, as always, dear readers, advice appreciated!