I got tagged by Kamalia and Apple. For Science!
1. What is the name, class, and spec of your primary healer?
Zelsha, Priest, Holy.
2. What is your primary group healing environment? (i.e. raids, pvp, 5 mans)
10-person raids. (10 man is sexist, yo! Even though I say it all the time. But I digress…)
3. What is your favorite healing spell for your class and why?
Circle of healing, for sure. I use it almost every cooldown, regardless of assignment. It just smooths out the raid in an elegant fashion.
In second place is prayer of mending. However the stupid thing frustrates me by getting stranded on a random DPS, so it doesn’t bounce as much as I’d like.
I have penance envy. I admit it.
4. What healing spell do you use least for your class and why?
Regular old Heal. I’m trying to be mana efficient and use it, but it feels like the health bar does not even MOVE when I cast it!
(I’m trying to use Renew less, since I tend to go OOM from it.)
5. What do you feel is the biggest strength of your healing class and why?
Versatility and a tool for every situation. I can tank heal, I can raid heal. All with the flip of a Chakra.
6. What do you feel is the biggest weakness of your healing class and why?
Just one? I feel like mana efficiency is a problem (especially compared to those cheater disc priests).
But since I’m talking about it, the runners up:
- Also our mastery, while powerful thoroughput, translates into overheal in many cases.
- Our crowd control kinda sucks (except in graveyards).
- And finally, the inability to cleanse poisons or curses is bullshit. (You hear that, Blizz?)
7. In a 25 man raiding environment, what do you feel, in general, is the best healing assignment for you?
I don’t do 25’s, but if I did, I’d be a raid healer. Pleaaaase do not make me tank heal. Pretty please.
8. What healing class do you enjoy healing with most and why?
This is selfish, but I hate tank healing, so I like healing in a team where I’m not the obvious choice for tank healer. If I am grouped with a pally or disco priest, it means I’m off the hook for tank healing. SIGH OF RELIEF. I have a slight preference for disco priest over pally because I better understand their cooldowns, and we can coordinate amongst ourselves when to best pop hymn of hope etc.
It was a hard decision, because I also love Mana Tide and Wrath of Air. (Don’t hate me, Rhee.)
9. What healing class do you enjoy healing with least and why?
The advantage to being a Holy priest is that I can “make it work” with just about any other healer, and change roles as appropriate. But usually a Resto Druid will snag the enviable “raid healing” spot leaving me to… tank heal (sigh).
(This is the part where I shake my fist at Kotak.)
10. What is your worst habit as a healer?
Topping off the bars. Especially since I have echo of light in my mastery, I should know better. And then I’m oom. And there is lamentation.
11. What is your biggest pet peeve in a group environment while healing?
No healing assignments, or disregard for healing assignments. Assignments work, people! Respect them, use them, love them. (Second place: Click the damn lolwell.)
12. Do you feel that your class/spec is well balanced with other healers for PvE healing?
Sure, I think Holy priests are generally fine. I think I’ve got good cooldowns and reasonable (though not enormous) thoroughput, but need moar mana. I have decent burst healing when needed. I wouldn’t give up my cooldowns for more thoroughput.
13. What tools do you use to evaluate your own performance as a healer?
World of Logs after the fact – but more importantly whether the encounter felt “in control.” Was I able to hit my assignments? Did I feel like there was mortal danger? Did I have to use a cooldown when it should not have been necessary? Did it feel like we were on the “edge of a wipe”?
Our heal team communicates very well, and we generally troubleshoot amongst ourselves during and after the raid, since numbers don’t tell the whole story for healing.
14. What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about your healing class?
That holy priests can’t tank heal. We totally can. Sure, others may be better at it. But with Inspiration, Guardian Spirit, Serendipity, and Holy Word: Serenity (in Chakra: Serenity, of course) we can deliver powerful single-target healing and cooldowns. (I still reserve the right to hate tank healing.)
A close second: How the lolwell works. I still have people remark to me “I didn’t realize I could click it from all the way over here!”
15. What do you feel is the most difficult thing for new healers of your class to learn?
All the bells and whistles. I don’t know how many times others have remarked to me “holy shit, that’s a lot of spells” and “chakras are TOO HARD”. There are more buttons than for other healers, and it takes a lot of practice to automatically reach for the right spell for the situation.
I used to tape reminders to the edges of my monitor like “Guardian Spirit” and “Divine Hymn” and then the number it was keybound to. It did increase my usage of the spells I often forgot. Now my monitor is paper-free. However, I often forget about YOINK (Leap of Faith) and am fumbling for that one.
16. If someone were to try to evaluate your performance as a healer via recount, what sort of patterns would they see (i.e. lots of overhealing, low healing output, etc)?
Decent (but not top) thoroughput, but too much overheal (much of it from echo of light). Cry. They would see a reasonable number of dispels, but not too many, as my fellow healers on TEAM HEAL are definitely quicker on the dispel button than I am.
Spell use would vary based on assignment.
- For Raid Healing: Circle of Healing, Prayer of Mending, Prayer of Healing, Renew, Binding Heal
- For Tank Healing: Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Prayer of Mending, Holy Word: Serenity, Renew
- For 5’s I USE ALL THE THINGS.
- In fights with a lot of movement, you will see bubbles for body & soul. Otherwise, I avoid them.
Also, they would see not enough people clicking the damn lolwell.
17. Haste or Crit and why?
Haste, because Crit super-sucks for Holy. (See #20 for more)
18. What healing class do you feel you understand least?
Paladin. I’ve leveled the others to the 80’s so I feel I understand the fundamentals (in fact, at various times, my main has been a resto shaman (BC), disc priest (WOTLK), and resto druid (also WOTLK)). But I have a lousy knowledge of paladin spells and cooldowns, and when I’m leading a heal team with a paladin, I end up giving vague instructions like “do that thingy with the rays of light.”
19. What add-ons or macros do you use, if any, to aid you in healing?
20. Do you strive primarily for balance between your healing stats, or do you stack some much higher than others, and why?
I tend to keep crit pretty low because it sucks. While in theory, I’m supposed to only stack haste to 12.5% raid buffed and then dump the rest into mastery, I tend to keep a little more haste on hand. This is because, in our team, sometimes we don’t have a haste buff in the raid and I need my heals not to feel “sluggish” in those cases. Plus, my mastery ends up as overheal a lot, so I don’t mind trading some of it for haste.
TAG, you’re it!
Druid: Elfi of Elfi’s World (oh noes, guildie nepotism!)
Paladin: Eade of My Pally Heals
Priest (Disco): Slice of Slice 213’s blog.
Shaman: Merinna of Be Healed